Saturday, October 29, 2011

I Wish I Could Be One of the Folks That Goes Nuts

The St. Louis Cardinals won the World Series last night.  What was I doing?  I was reading and fell asleep and at ten was woken up by loud fireworks.  I grinned, tried to stop my racing heart and go back to sleep.  Then after about thirty minutes, I got a little old lady shaky fist pissy at the fireworks. I had been up since about five am, worked ten hours, drove the kids to Lemay and back and I was fucking exhausted!!

So, no I did NOT watch the World Series.  If you were to ask me why, I'd say it was because I wasn't allowed to.  This is actually true. I started to watch a game and we lost that game.  Even though I was given "permission" to watch it the 7th game, I cared enough NOT to watch.  Just in case.  I come from a very sports fanatical family and some things have rubbed off on me and had I watched and had they lost?  I would have felt the need to jump off the MLK bridge.  Seriously.  I know it's fucked up. 

But, do I CARE if they won? OF COURSE!!  But, not like most people.  It didn't bother me too much that I couldn't watch.  Because I can't watch.  The sitcom was made for people like me.  Extremely short attention spans, who need constantly dialogue to keep me reeled in for 30 minutes.  I can occasionally do an hour long drama of some sort if the content is interesting.  I have ADD people.  And it's not a thing I say to be cute or funny.  I REALLY have ADD and sports, well unless I am at a game or playing it, I lose interest.  I've always known this about me, so I never get invested into something I know I can't enjoy.  People stopped asking me to sports parties a long time ago because I'm there to socialize, it's people that I'm interested in.  I'd talk through the whole thing.My family always had me over (out of obligation I'm sure) but, both my sisters are in California and my mom developed this weird ritual where she had to watch it alone. Even my dad had to watch it in the basement away from her. Their energy made the game fun and that's when I would like it.


 It's why the only sport I enjoyed playing was basketball.  That is an ADD kids best sport.  There is constant action, tons of running back and forth from offense to defense.  I loved it. 

I'm not trying to be all Darlene McDouchenozzle and be all "Sports are for rednecks" or anything.  I wish I liked them as much as the rest of the world does.  I wanted to watch, just not alone.  I love being around people who REALLY LOVE IT.  Fan actually make me feel a little verklempt. Especially, St. Louis fans because they're fans win or lose.  That's pretty amazing.   They make me see I'm missing out on something, but no matter how hard I try, I just can't get into it.





No comments:

Post a Comment