Saturday, October 1, 2011

"No One Is Happy Who Does Not Think Himself So"

This morning, me and the kids had leftover chinese food for breakfast, and we decided to dive into the fortune cookies.  Jonathan got one that said "No one is happy who does not think himself so."  Of course, being a kid, he thought it was lame and just kind of tossed it aside.  He asked me what it meant, and I tried to explain it to him.  He's a smart kid and he got it, but again, to him it was boring, therefore he wasn't interested.  I'm sure he was hoping his fortune would say something like "Today, Kirby will come to your house and be your bestest friend!" (Jonny is OBSESSED with Kirby from Nintendo. He's never even played a Kirby game, I don't know how this can be.)

It's the truth though.  If you WANT to be happy, at first, you have to fake it till you make it.  I know this from experience.  A few years back, those of you who know me, I decided to be happy... even if it was going to kill me, and as it went against everything I was so used to, it almost did.

I am very susceptable to negative energies.  Now, I'm not trying to get all new age-y or anything, but if there is a hint of negative, the teeniest whiff,  my attitude pounces on it and goes nom nom nom.  Before, I would then add into the negativity with my own.  Now, I just get annoyed because I've tried to practice being a happier person.  I stay in my own "zone".  I get quiet and I do my own thing.  We all complain from time to time, we all need to let off steam, but, there comes a point where you put up or shut up, and when someone gets to that point and doesn't do either, I power down.  The funny this is, when this happens, all of a sudden I'm being "grumpy".  No, I'm just protecting myself.

I'm not saying I'm this, totally self aware, enlightened being, but I made the realization a LONG time ago, that I am the cause of most of my problems, as most people are.  Sure, there are situations where the other person is the CAUSE of your pain, but then eventually, you have to make the decision to get over it.  Getting over it is hard, but getting over it you must. 

 People who are experiencing heart ache from a failed marriage or a failed relationship, almost always immediately blame that other person.  It's natural.  I did it, too.  Peace never comes though, until you can sit down and think about how you contributed to the demise of that relationship. We've all heard the phrase it takes two to tango.  Maybe you weren't the best you in that relationshio. Maybe you were selfish with your time or affection or maybe you should have never gotten into that relationship to begin with, for whatever reason.  I really believe you can't have a truly lasting relationship with someone else until you confront your own mistakes to make sure you don't do it again.  It's natural to blame that other person, but over time, if months have passed, years have passed, and you can't let it go, you need to go look in the mirror. 

No comments:

Post a Comment